The pulse of all our lives… Irvine Welsh
UK Song of the Year Award winner (Americana Music Association UK Awards 2019)
One of Scotland’s best… “Whispering” Bob Harris (BBC)
For God’s sake buy this album…! Russell Brand
Scotland’s most engaging and haunting singer-songwriter Irvine Welsh
Sun 31st Jan, 8pm; “Live” at Celtic Connections
Dean Owens with Joey Burns (Calexico), Martin Wenk and Kevin McGuire
The World Premiere of Sinner’s Shrine (the album Dean recorded at WaveLab Studio in Tucson, with members of Calexico, just before the pandemic kicked in).
A very special concert, recorded for Celtic Connections, over 5,000 miles distance. Tickets and more info here.
- NEWS: DEC 2020 – Find out about, and pre-order, the triple EP package, The Desert Trilogy, here
- Oct 2020 – New video for A Song For The Dark Times, premiered on Americana UK, who say “simply beautiful… just what we need to listen to right now“. Other comments about the song include: “very special” – Ralph McLean (BBC Radio Ulster); “like a flower through the concrete” – Paul Sexton (BBC)
Sep 2020 – New Single – A Song For The Dark Times – will be released on Fri 2 Oct. Inspired by the title of Ian Rankin’s new Rebus novel, and by a blackbird singing its heart out while people were all in lockdown indoors. With guest musicians John Convertino (El Paso, TX) and Thomas Collison (London, UK). Available on all digital platforms, and especially Bandcamp. Listen to a VERY short snippet here.
23 AUG – A Hatful of Songs will be live from The Edinburgh Fringe. See Shop page for details.
AUG 2020 – Just released (7 Aug) and available now from Bandcamp. Let The Day In is a new single recorded (at The House of Songs, Arkansas in Jan 2020) with Oscar Mukherjee – phenomenally talented young singer songwriter from Denmark – poignantly fragile, but optimistic. Available as stand alone track or with new digital album – Single File – all Dean’s recent singles in 1 handy bundle.
JULY 2020 – Just announced – international gig (online), from Scotland, Denmark and USA – Fri 7 Aug (See Live page for details)
JUNE 2020 – New single and video release – To Where The Heart Is – released Fri 3 Jul
JUNE 2020 – On The Record – Fri 3rd Jul – online instore gig, with Dean and BBC’s Paul Sexton (Hosted by Eel Pie Records). Tickets & Info here
May 2020 – Just launched – new Dean Owens PATREON account
May 2020 – Dean is now on Bandcamp, for digital downloads – https://deanowens.bandcamp.com/
- Apr 2020: GET TOGETHER FROM A DISTANCE – Live, online concert announced – Sat 9 May. Click here for more information, book your virtual ticket and make a donation.
Apr 2020: Exclusive New T Shirts – Dean Owens: Indoor Troubadour – available to order from the shop
- 19 Mar 2020: LIVE FROM HUMMINGBIRD TOWERS – special one off live online concert just announced – Fri 27 Mar. If people can’t come to gigs, Dean will bring the gig to your computer screen. PAY WHAT YOU CAN. Click here for more information, to book your virtual seat and make a donation!
19 Mar 2020: Limited edition (it was also a very limited tour!) The Man From Leith Self Isolation Tour T Shirt for sale, only till midnight on Sun 22 Mar. See SHOP for details
- 16 Mar 2020: In view of the unprecedented and rapidly developing corona virus crisis, we have reluctantly taken the decision – in consultation with the venues and promoters – to postpone all Dean Owens’ upcoming live dates in March, April and May. Full refunds will be available – please contact your original ticket outlet or local promoter. We will continue to monitor the situation, and take advice, regarding the dates after May. Updates on the Live page.
- Jan 2020: Dean will be taking part in The House of Songs‘ week long Songwriters’ Summit in Arkansas, with 6 other international songwriters. The residency also includes radio, TV and a live performance. He is then heading to Folk Alliance International in New Orleans (where he has a number of showcases with The House of Songs and British Underground) before going to AmericanaFest UK in London where he has a showcase in his own right as Dean Owens and the Southerners. (More details on the Live page). Thanks to Creative Scotland/National Lottery for their support.
Jan 2020: The Man From Leith (The Best of Dean Owens) album will be released on CD/Vinyl/digital, on Eel Pie Records, 20 Apr 2020. With sleeve notes by Irvine Welsh
Dec 2019: Brand new in the Shop – quality mugs with one of Dean’s favourite sayings. Order by 19 Dec (UK) for delivery by Christmas. Click here to go straight to the shop.
- Dec 2019: New dates added for 2020, including Album Launch for The Man From Leith (The Best of Dean Owens) at Leith Dockers Club, 13 Mar 2020 (with The Southerners). Check the “Live” page for details
- Dec 2019: Cash Back in Fife 6-8 Mar 2020 – New festival at Woodside Hotel, Aberdour to celebrate the legacy of Johnny Cash – the man, his music and his family roots in the Kingdom of Fife. With The Celtabilly Allstars, Rab Noakes, Ian Rankin, Hannah Rose Platt, Martha Healy, The Marriage (Kirsten Adamson & Dave Burn) and David Latto. Click here for full details and ticket links
- Oct 2019: New dates announced – solo and as Dean Owens and The Southerners. See www.deanowens.com/live for details
- June 2019: UK Tour with The Southerners (7-17 June) + Scottish dates in August, including Edinburgh Fringe. See www.deanowens.com/live for details
- May 2019: International Songwriting Competition – Love Prevails (co-written by Dean and Will Kimbrough) wins accolade in worldwide competition with 19,000 entries. See Press page for full press release about this and current tour dates
- March 2019: New single/video release for UK Mothers Day (31 Mar): Mother (co-written with Will Kimbrough and Danny Wilson, video by Joshua Britt (Neighborhoods Apart). See Press page for full press release about this and upcoming USA and UK Tour dates
- Mar 2019: Congratulations to Dean Owens and Will Kimbrough – shortlisted finalists in International Song of the Year Competition – Americana – (for Love Prevails). Info (and voting link for People’s Voice section here). Judges’ decision: Apr 2019
Jan 2019: Dean Owens wins UK Song of the Year Award at Americanafest UK Awards. (See Press & Media page for Press Release)
- Dec 2018: Buffalo Blood (double album, red vinyl, gatefold sleeve) will be released on Eel Pie Records, 15 Feb 2019. (Launched at live performance at Celtic Connections).
- Nov 2018: The World Premiere live performance of Buffalo Blood is at Celtic Connections, Glasgow, UK – 25 Jan 2019
Click here for more info
- Nov 2018: The title track on Southern Wind has been shortlisted in the UK Song of the Year category for American Music Association UK Awards (2019)
- Oct 2018: Vagabond Voices – Dean Owens & Yvonne Lyon – Tour dates announced – Nov 2018
- Sep 2018: USA – Tour dates announced – Oct 2018
- Aug 2018: New single – Elvis Was My Brother – Released 17 Aug 2018
Elvis Was My Brother (from Southern Wind album) is released as a digital single on 17 Aug (the day after 41st anniversary of Elvis’s death), and a brand new video. The song is based on a true story, and celebrates what being a music fan means to the fan – both in the story of the song, and the video, compiled from Super8 footage riffling thro Dean’s back pages of his travels round the USA, including sitting at the recording desk at Sun Studios, paying tribute to Johnny Cash in his old house in Dyess, and much more.
Dean: I’m over the moon about the idea of playing this in Memphis, on the same stage where Elvis started out.
Visit the video page to watch the video
- Jun 2018: Southern Wind blowing into Southern Fried 2018
Delighted to announce the Dean will be performing at the awesome Southern Fried Festival (28 July) with his full Whisky Hearts Band. Check out that lineup!
- Southern Wind Album launch dates
2 Feb – Celtic Connections
3 Apr – Betsey Trotwood, London
See “Live” page for more dates and booking links
- Southern Wind is #3 in Euro Americana chart (March 2018)
(with 2 other Neilson Hubbard produced albums at #1 and #5 (both also featuring guitarist Will Kimbrough)).
- Southern Wind enters Official UK Charts (Americana) at #34
- Feb/Mar 2018 Dean Owens announced as special guest on Will Hoge UK and European tour
See “Live” page for dates and booking links
- Southern Wind is the Featured Video and Song of the Day on Folk Radio UK:
Read about the making of the video, and watch it in the embedded link.
- Glowing 4 STAR review in MOJO Magazine for Southern Wind –
“Owens hits a sweet spot… delivers straight and true on his self proclaimed Celtic spirit, country soul“
4 STARS from Country Music Magazine –
“a rousing vulnerability that at times recalls Richard Ashcroft…“
5 STARS from Country Music People
“Owens’ talent borders on genius… A List” –
Listen to Dean on Spotify