Celtic spirit, Country soul
UK Song of the Year Award winner (Americana Music Association UK Awards 2019)
One of Scotland’s best… “Whispering” Bob Harris (BBC)
For God’s sake buy this album…! Russell Brand
Scotland’s most engaging and haunting singer-songwriter Irvine Welsh
New album, Southern Wind (released on At The Helm Records) is available now, from all good record shops, and direct from our online shop (click here)
Link to downloads (iTunes, Amazon, Google+, Spotify)
- June 2019: UK Tour with The Southerners (7-17 June) + Scottish dates in August, including Edinburgh Fringe. See www.deanowens.com/live for details
- May 2019: International Songwriting Competition – Love Prevails (co-written by Dean and Will Kimbrough) wins accolade in worldwide competition with 19,000 entries. See Press page for full press release about this and current tour dates
- March 2019: New single/video release for UK Mothers Day (31 Mar): Mother (co-written with Will Kimbrough and Danny Wilson, video by Joshua Britt (Neighborhoods Apart). See Press page for full press release about this and upcoming USA and UK Tour dates
- Mar 2019: Congratulations to Dean Owens and Will Kimbrough – shortlisted finalists in International Song of the Year Competition – Americana – (for Love Prevails). Info (and voting link for People’s Voice section here). Judges’ decision: Apr 2019
- Jan 2019: Dean Owens wins UK Song of the Year Award at Americanafest UK Awards. (See Press & Media page for Press Release)
- Dec 2018: The online shop on this website is now up and running, and fully functional, including some exclusive CDs which are not available in shops, or even on Amazon. Click here to take a look, feel free to browse, and have a listen. If you’re quick you can squeeze in an order before Christmas for an extra special stocking filler.
- Dec 2018: Buffalo Blood (double album, red vinyl, gatefold sleeve) will be released on Eel Pie Records, 15 Feb 2019. (Launched at live performance at Celtic Connections).
- Nov 2018: The World Premiere live performance of Buffalo Blood is at Celtic Connections, Glasgow, UK – 25 Jan 2019
Click here for more info
- Nov 2018: The title track on Southern Wind has been shortlisted in the UK Song of the Year category for American Music Association UK Awards (2019)
- Oct 2018: Vagabond Voices – Dean Owens & Yvonne Lyon – Tour dates announced – Nov 2018
- Sep 2018: USA – Tour dates announced – Oct 2018
- Aug 2018: New single – Elvis Was My Brother – Released 17 Aug 2018
Elvis Was My Brother (from Southern Wind album) is released as a digital single on 17 Aug (the day after 41st anniversary of Elvis’s death), and a brand new video. The song is based on a true story, and celebrates what being a music fan means to the fan – both in the story of the song, and the video, compiled from Super8 footage riffling thro Dean’s back pages of his travels round the USA, including sitting at the recording desk at Sun Studios, paying tribute to Johnny Cash in his old house in Dyess, and much more.
Dean: I’m over the moon about the idea of playing this in Memphis, on the same stage where Elvis started out.
Visit the video page to watch the video
- Jun 2018: Southern Wind blowing into Southern Fried 2018
Delighted to announce the Dean will be performing at the awesome Southern Fried Festival (28 July) with his full Whisky Hearts Band. Check out that lineup!
- Southern Wind Album launch dates
2 Feb – Celtic Connections
3 Apr – Betsey Trotwood, London
See “Live” page for more dates and booking links
- Southern Wind is #3 in Euro Americana chart (March 2018)
(with 2 other Neilson Hubbard produced albums at #1 and #5 (both also featuring guitarist Will Kimbrough)).
- Southern Wind enters Official UK Charts (Americana) at #34
- Feb/Mar 2018 Dean Owens announced as special guest on Will Hoge UK and European tour
See “Live” page for dates and booking links
- Southern Wind is the Featured Video and Song of the Day on Folk Radio UK:
Read about the making of the video, and watch it in the embedded link.
- Glowing 4 STAR review in MOJO Magazine for Southern Wind –
“Owens hits a sweet spot… delivers straight and true on his self proclaimed Celtic spirit, country soul“
4 STARS from Country Music Magazine –
“a rousing vulnerability that at times recalls Richard Ashcroft…“
5 STARS from Country Music People
“Owens’ talent borders on genius… A List” –
Listen to Dean on Spotify